Swim England North West are looking for the next generation of aspiring coaches. We believe, this course will equip you with the knowledge and tools to actively support a Open Water coach in the delivery of a planned training session. The cost of the course is £399.
Individuals who successfully complete the course may (subject to bursary criteria being met) be able to access the Regional Coaching Bursary.
The course is delivered through a mixture of online learning, zoom classroom activities, and practical learning in both a poolside and open water environment. The zoom webinar will help you kick off your studies and then have time before the second webinar to start your online learning. The specialist e-learning is split into bite-sized pieces, so you don’t have to do it all in one go.
Before heading to the lake session there will be another zoom sessions to help fully prepare you for the practical assessment.
During your practical sessions at the pool and lake you will develop your skills with the support of your tutor and put the theory you have already learnt into practice. You will be assessed by your tutor who will provide you with feedback so you can develop throughout the sessions.
- Online learning will be on Monday 13th June 2022 (6-9pm), Friday 24th June 2022 (6-9pm) and Monday 25th July 2022 (6-9pm).
- Face to Face session will be on Sunday 30th July 2022 (1-7pm). The practical sessions will take place at Sale Water Park.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone who is a Swim England Coach, Swimming Teacher or Triathlon Coach and who wants to become an independent open water coach.
The course is delivered through a mixture of online learning, zoom classroom activities, and practical learning in both a poolside and open water environment.
You will learn about:
- Principles of swimming in open water
- Legal responsibility of coaching in open water swimming including risk assessments for open water venues
- Coaching positions for open water swimming
- Planning for coaching open water swimming including session plans and overviews for different swimmers
- Innovative delivery of open water swimming sessions
- Coaching open water skills including event tactics, preparation and recovery skills
- Session management skills including using different motivational techniques and interpersonal skills with participants.
You must be at least 17 years of age at the start of the course.
You must have one of the following qualifications:
- Swim England Swimming Coach Certificate (or equivalent)
- 1st 4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Triathlon (QCF)
- SEQ Level 2 Teaching Swimming and have experience of swimming in an open water environment.
Please click here to book your place.
Bookings must be made through the account of the individual attend the training.
Closing Date for Registering: 6th June 2022.
Personal belongings remain the responsibility of the individual and are taken into venues at the individuals own risk. Neither Swim England North West nor the venue will be responsible for the loss of or damage to any such belongings. Individuals are advised to use lockers where available.