The Swim England North West (SENW) Young Volunteer Award (YVA) is designed to provide young people, between the ages of 14 and 17 the opportunity to develop the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to prepare them as Volunteers within Aquatic Sport. The Award has been designed to suit young people from any Aquatic Discipline, (Swimming, Water Polo, Synchronised Swimming and Diving).
Young Volunteers (YV) must attend an Introduction Day and will then have 12 months from this date to complete the course (the course must be completed prior to the YV’s 18th Birthday).
The Award aims to:
- Provide young individuals with an overview of the different volunteering pathways; coaching/teaching, events and officiating
- Provide information about the different roles which volunteers undertake to continue the development of aquatic sports
- Support and develop transferrable skills, which can be used to enhance education and future job applications
- Provide young individuals with volunteering experience which can be evidenced and utilised in conjunction with The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
The YVA is comprise of a number of workshops and modules:
- Pre Course Knowledge and Introduction into Swim England and Swim England North West.
- Introduction Day
- Introduction into Volunteering and Coaching in Aquatic Sport
- Keeping Safe in Sport – Safeguarding 13+
- Young Aquatic Helper
- Introduction into Officiating
- Shadowing Volunteers and Coaches
- Online Activities
- Introduction into the Swim England Club Awards
- Written Activity – ‘Which Volunteer Role I would like to do and Why’
- Written Activity – ‘Aquatic Sport and why Volunteers are Important’
Post Course Knowledge of Volunteering
SENW have been recognised by The DofE as a (DofE) centre which means that as an organisation we are able to offer the Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections of the DofE Awards. Any person wishing to complete their DofE Awards will need to find another centre that can offer the Expedition Section of their Award.
Many students are fortunate enough to be able to take part in The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award via their Secondary School, however others may not be in a position to take part due to their school not participating. There is a way you can still take part in this exciting opportunity, please contact SENW Regional Office for further information email@example.com
- Young Volunteers must be a minimum of 14 years of age on the day of their selected Introduction Day.
- Individuals must have completed the award before their 18th birthday.
Course requirements are:
- Young Volunteers MUST attend an Introduction Day
- All work must be completed within 12 months post Introduction Day
- Young Volunteers MUST inform their club they are taking part in the YVA
Parent/Athlete Guidance Document
Code of Conduct
Health Form – please ensure this is completed and handed to the Team Manager when you sign in on the day.
To secure your place on the Introduction Day, please complete the information required below and make payment.
Please note the closing date for this event is 9am Thursday 5th December 2019, or once the course is full.