- Young Volunteer Award
September 2019 saw the launch of the new Swim England North West Young Volunteer Award.
This award is designed to provide young people, between the ages of 14 to 17, the opportunity to develop the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to prepare them as Volunteers within Aquatic Sport.
Young Volunteers will have 12 months from their chose Introduction Day, to complete the course, which must be completed prior to their 18th Birthday.
The award aims to:
- Provide young individuals with an overview of the different volunteering pathways; coaching/teaching, events and officiating.
- Provide information about the different roles which volunteers undertake to continue the development of aquatic sports.
- Support and develop transferable skills, which can be used to enhance education and future job applications.
- Provide young individuals with volunteering experience which can be evidenced and utilised in conjunction with The Duke of Edinburgh Awards.
The award is split into a number of areas:
- Pre-Course Knowledge – This questionnaire will provide SENW with an idea of level of knowledge before the course progresses.
- Online Workshops (over 2 sessions)
- Skills for Volunteering in Aquatics
- Volunteering in Aquatics
- Evidence – submitted on Google Classrooms
- Introduction into Officiating
- Shadowing Volunteers and Coaches
- Mindsets – Growth vs Fixed
- Online Activities – submitted of Google Classrooms
- Introduction to the Swim England Club Awards
- Written Activity – ‘Which volunteer role I would like to do and why?’
- Written Activity – ‘Aquatic Sport and why volunteers are important’.
SENW have been recognised by The Duke of Edinburgh as a DofE Centre which means that as an organisation we are able to offer the Volunteering, Physical and Skills sessions of the DofE Awards. Any person wishing to complete their DofE Awards will need to find another centre (alternatively through school) who can offer the Expedition section of their Award.
Young Volunteer Award – Overview for Parents
Young Volunteer Award – Overview for Clubs