Institute of Swimming have arranged a number of Level 2 Coaching Open Water – Theory sessions.
Please click here for dates available.
This course covers the skills needed to effectively plan, deliver, and evaluate a series of open water training sessions.
This qualification has been split into two parts: theory and practical.
- Theory – This will be delivered online through interactive e-learning and virtual classrooms on zoom.
- Practical – This will include both poolside and open water sessions.
This course is the first half and covers the theory only.
When you start the course and book your online theory, you will pay £ 199.
Once you have finished all the theory, you can book your practical sessions and make your final payment of £ 200.
Who is the Course Designed For?
Anyone who is a Swim England Coach, Swimming Teacher or Triathlon Coach and who wants to become an independent open water coach.
The course is delivered through a mixture of online learning, zoom classroom activities. Once you have completed the theory course you can move onto your practical learning, both poolside and in an open water environment.
You will learn about:
- Principles of swimming in open water
- Legal responsibilities of coaching in open water swimming including risk assessments for open water venues
- Coaching positions for open water swimming
- Planning for coaching open water swimming including session plans and overviews for different swimmers
- Innovative delivery of open water swimming sessions
- Coaching open water skills including event tactics, preparation and recovery skills
- Session management skills including using different motivational techniques and interpersonal skills with participants