Swim England is launching a Coaching and Teaching Register in 2019 that will bring benefits to club, coaches, teachers and participants.
From January to March 2019, all clubs will be required to provide basic information on all active coaches and teachers, regardless of qualification or discipline, for inclusion on a new Swim England Coaching and Teaching Register. This includes paid and voluntary coaches and teachers.
As a membership organisation, we are eager to strengthen our relationships with those delivering within clubs. The Register will be a platform to provide better communication and support to coaches and teachers, and help us, as the Governing Body, to demonstrate best practice in terms of recording and providing quality assurances on the delivery of our sport. It will also give clubs a central database to record their delivery workforce and ensure that their qualifications and training are in order and up to date.
There will be no additional cost for coaches and teachers to be part of the Registers other than existing fees paid by members. As set out in the Swim England regulations, it is the responsibility of every club to ensure that volunteer coaches and teachers are members of Swim England. Also that paid coaches and teachers are members of either Swim England, the Institute of Swimming or the BSCA.
Stage One (January – March 2019)
- Affiliated clubs to inform us who their coaches and teachers are through the new ‘Coaching and Teaching’ tab on the Online Membership System (OMS).
- Swim England members of the club, as well as the Institute of Swimming can be added. See FAQs for information on BSCA members.
- Clubs will need to specify what role each individual is undertaking and the discipline.
- The list will provide a way for clubs to identify and track their coaches/teachers moving forward. From 1st October 2019, we will be able to utilise information held on the Register as evidence for Element 13 of the SwimMark criteria.
- Clubs will be required to include all paid and voluntary coaches and teachers.
- Deadline for clubs completing their coach and teacher information is 31st March 2019.
Stage Two (April – July 2019)
- Coaches and Teachers will need to verify information held by Swim England. This will include qualification(s), DBS and Safeguard Training.
- In order to verify the information, individuals will need to log into their OMS account between May and July 2019.
- This will be a simple process – additional communication and guidance will be provided in early April 2019.
We understand that there will be questions and queries and therefore Swim England have created an FAQ document, please click here.